Marble Teeth

This week, I’ll introduce you to one of my favorite bands in the area: Marble Teeth!

Marble Teeth is an artist from Decatur, though he regularly travels to play shows. The man behind the music is Caleb. Sometimes he plays solo, but the full band line up consists of Jacob, Makayla, and his partner Shauna. Caleb sings, plays guitar, and rocks the harmonica. Jacob has played bass in the past but he currently plays violin and mandolin for Marble Teeth. Shauna and Makayla are a recent addition for the live performance. Shauna is on drums while Makayla is on bass!

The most recent release from Marble Teeth is his album, top 10 times i've cried, which came out in October of 2023. Each week I feel like I have a new favorite song from him, but "Funk Track" and "horror, & how it feels" are always high on my list. Caleb is constantly innovating on his music, as well. This has been most noticeable within the past couple months, as the sound has shifted to more folk/western rather than indie. 

Marble Teeth makes his own merch, as he is a DIY king and is quite skilled with screen printing. I personally own two sweaters, a pair of pants, and multiple stickers and patches from him. Even if you aren't big on music, I suggest giving him a follow on Instagram just to check out his designs! 

I got in touch with Caleb this week to ask him a couple questions! 

What inspires you most to make music?

Caleb: I’m most inspired to make music by listening to music that’s new to me consistently,  just always looking for new sounds or lyrics that put me in the mood to create. 

How long have you been making/playing music?

Caleb: I’ve been playing music ever since I was a kid playing in school band, but it wasn’t until highschool that I started guitar & trying to write my own songs. It’s just snowballed from then! 

How would you describe the genre of music you make?

Caleb: I’ve never known how to genre classify Marble Teeth, I think the recordings are pretty broad without leaning to hard into one certain aesthetic. I’ve called it ‘bedroom folk’ before. I’ve been getting into older & older country / blues recordings, & that’s been my main inspiration lately.

What is your favorite part about performing?

Caleb: My favorite part about performing is the community around it, most shows I’m going to I know I have at least a couple homies there, & if not, I’m probably guaranteed to make a cool friend if I’m feeling social. Plus people are usually super kind & getting feedback on songs is really cool. 

What is the main message you are trying to tell with your music? Who are you trying to speak to?

Caleb: I feel like I’m trying to speak a little more to the human experience with the newer stuff. Used to write a lot about my personal life & relationships, but I’m looking for ways to translate those ideas & experiences into something a little more general & almost parable-like. A song that’s about everybody instead of just me!

You can find Marble Teeth on social media here! He doesn’t have any upcoming shows posted at the time of writing this blog, but I recommend keeping an eye out on Instagram for updates. You can view Marble Teeth live from his YouTube channel below, as well! 




 

Comments

  1. This is so cool! I love learning about new songs and bands. I think it's awesome that you reached out to the singer and they answered the questions that you asked them. It's definitely a new stlye of music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very interesting to read about! I don't listen to bands too often but it was great to hear about some new song and artists I can listen to. It was really cool that the singer you reached out to responded back and shows the loyalty they have for their fans.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Estrogen Molotov

Aftersome

Emily the Band