Estrogen Molotov

I have a sound to show you that will knock your socks off! Based out of Central Illinois, Estrogen Molotov is a transgender noise duo who offers a unique listening experience, and they are one of only a few noise bands in the area!

Estrogen Molotov consists of Kailyn (he/him), who is based in Peoria, and DK (they/she), who is from Ottawa. They started making music in 2022, and this was one of Kailyn’s first creative musical projects. DK on the other hand has her own solo music under the name Space Dust, and they play live bass for Your Arms Are My Cocoon. Both members take turns banging the drum, playing guitar or bass, performing vocals, and taking control of the synth. They make use of unusual techniques to create sounds you wouldn’t expect to see performed on a stage. If you have never listened to noise before, it takes some getting used to, but it is hard to look away once it starts! You will walk away with a newfound prescriptive on what music is. 

Estrogen Molotov played their most recent show at Mt. Moon Fest 3 on August 31st. I was able to talk with them in person at this gig, which was my first fully realized experience with interviewing someone, and gain further understanding on what drives Estrogen Molotov:

Me: Okay! Let's get started. First question, what inspires you most to make music? This could be a concept, or message!

DK: A concept. The idea of pushing the envelope of what music can be and making something that no one else is really doing.

Kailyn: And also, just being off putting on purpose. 

DK: It’s an exercise on doing as much as we can to be as, like, true to ourselves as we can. 

Kailyn: That is the core of what we do. Authenticity, specifically to your true self if you’re transgender. That’s the reason and the message. 

(a pinecone was being held during this conversation. insert pinecone crunching ASMR here)

Me: How long have you been making music?

Kailyn: Two years! Pretty crazy.

DK: We started doing this in, like, 2022. 

Kailyn: It was in the wintertime. We were like, haha, how about this awesome idea?

DK: Yeah, on one hand, it started in my own head as like a joke almost, but now it has grown into this thing that is not a joke, and I am really glad that it isn’t anymore! Cause, like, I really have a lot of fun doing this. 

Kailyn: It definitely started as, uh, let’s do this wacky concept, but also like it’s for real kind of awesome! 

DK: Then we kinda thought, “Well, we can do this.” And then, we started writing actual songs. 

Kailyn: It’s becoming more real with each passing day. 

Me: I love it! Okay. How would you describe the genre of music you make?

Kailyn: Noise and Roll! 

DK: Noise and Roll is the official tag we’ve been using; I don’t think that exists anywhere else aside from right here. I say hyper a lot, hyper is a big part of it.

Kailyn: Yeah, what you were saying, hyper noise core. 

DK: Hyper noise core is like if you wanted to give actual genre tags to it, but Noise and Roll is what we want it to be called.

Kailyn: And incorporating more ambient elements, more post rock elements. Post rock mainly because I like the atmospheric-ness, and also because that is the extent of my guitar playing.

DK: There’s kinda like two halves of Estrogen Molotov. There is the faster hyper stuff that is a lot of screechy synths and fast bass, and the drums are going faster. Then there is the slower side, which still is like harsh and ominous as the other side, it’s just in a different package. Since we have both of those, it’s a cool dichotomy that we have. 

Kailyn: Ominous and atmospheric is another core element of, I would say, the styling, that is where the vision is going. 

(insert DK biting the pinecone ASMR, promptly running away to spit it out, and everyone laughing)

Me: That makes sense! All of those words suit y’all’s sound! If you could choose one location to play at anywhere in the world, where would you play? Like a dream location, or if it is funny, any reason.

Kailyn: The sphere or whatever, the Vegas Sphere! 

DK: That’s a good one. I want to play in the middle of a lake.

Me: Any specific lake?

DK: Nah, just whatever one comes to mind.

Kailyn: I’m trying to come up with a genuine answer of somewhere I would like to play. 

DK: That’s the thing, I don’t know yet. Cause I’ve played shows in some places that are considered big, like Tokyo, but they were for different projects. I would love to play this music in Japan, or in the UK, or, like, Europe in general. Noise is big in Japan, and I think it would be a very cool time.

Kailyn: Anywhere people would fucks with it! 

Me: Last question! What is your favorite thing to do outside of music?

DK: I don’t know, I like baseball. I like going on hikes and I write. It’s kind of what I do outside of this at the moment.

Kailyn: A lot of what I do outside of doing creative things is work, and I am trying to reconnect with my true nature to be honest, of just doing fuck all and just wandering around and shit. Cause I am not particularly a hiker, but I like wandering around. I’ve been big on taking field recordings whenever I can, cause it is soothing to my mind. I fuck with nature heavy. 

DK: Yeah, Kailyn, he like, the last show we had a like storm alert radio broadcast, that’s all Kailyn’s doing. 

Kailyn: I also love playing video games. I am currently on a replay of the second Sam and Max telltale game. And I have been playing hella Tetris and Crazy 8s and have been beating everyone’s ass. 

Me: Thank you so much! 

You can find Estrogen Molotov on Instagram here, and you can listen to them on Bandcamp here. Their next show is in Chicago on October 30th at the Fallen Log with Boyslut, Melon Sprout, and more TBA. You can also view their performance at Mt. Moon Fest 3 below, filmed by their friend Jenny!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aftersome

Emily the Band